Issue #12272 has been updated by Tsuyoshi Sawada.

Robert A. Heiler wrote:
> I don't know. I am not really against it, also not really for it but to be honest, I can't remember either of these variants anyway. :)
>
> Would this actually be used/usable?

Ideally, I would prefer LaTeX math symbol commands, which I believe many people have wider handle on. But mapping between LaTeX commands and UTF-8 would not be trivial, and would have to undergo intensive discussion on what to include and what not as well as what maps to what, which gives me less hope that such thing will ever converge and will be accepted by Matz. On the contrary, UTF-8 code is already implemented, and since the HTML entity names are clearly defined, I think the feature details would be straightforward once it is decided.

People up to this date may be living with using straight quotes instead of smart quotes, or using ASCII art to describe arrows, tables, or other characters/constructs. But things are evolving. We can expect things to become better and more pleasing. We don't need to stick to ASCII characters forever.

Feature #12272: Accepting HTML entity name in string literal