Issue #12261 has been reported by Thomas Enebo.

Bug #12261: Windows: File.dirname with 2+ / or 2+ \\ will return // or \\\\
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/12261

* Author: Thomas Enebo
* Assignee:
* ruby -v:
I am working through some File.dirname issues on JRuby and I saw a ruby/spec covering this behavior on windows:

`File.dirname('/////').should == '//'`

Same result if backslashes are used.  Is there a reason for this result?  It does not seem useful to me but I am not much of a windows user.  I would think in this case it would be '/' since I don't see how this is useful for UNC paths in Ruby?  If someone could explain it then I will document this at least in JRuby source code :)

So far all versions of MRI seem to have this behavior.

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/