z> It tapers off at 189Mb, which I can live with. I was afraid it would
z> jump 189Mb to 300Mb to 500Mb,  and so on.

 You have found this , I think (this is the Boehm GC)

/*
 * The following is a gross hack to deal with a problem that can occur
 * on machines that are sloppy about stack frame sizes, notably SPARC.
 * Bogus pointers may be written to the stack and not cleared for
 * a LONG time, because they always fall into holes in stack frames
 * that are not written.  We partially address this by clearing
 * sections of the stack whenever we get control.
 */

 The compiler has found a "nice" place to store the array and it never
 clear this region.

Guy Decoux