Naming-wise, Rails (ActiveSupport) has Date#beginning_of_month.  That name can be more familiar to other devs.

I'm against floor(:month) and such, especially against Time class.  The concept of "the second that a day begins" is not that concrete when it relates to summer time.  I recommend you to stick this proposal to Date only.

Feature #12211: introduce Date#first_of_month and Date#last_of_month

* Author: Shunichi Arai
* Assignee:
Proposes new methods Date#first_of_month and Date#last_of_month which can be very helpful in reporting applications which need the first and the last day of a month very frequently.

~~~
class Date
    def first_of_month
      Date.new(year, month, 1)
    end
    def last_of_month
      next_month.first_of_month.prev_day
~~~

Current way to do it `Date.new(date.year, date.month, 1)` is not elegant and short enough for this simple and common operation.

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/