Issue #12124 has been updated by C.J. Collier.

Shyouhei Urabe wrote:
> We looked at this issue on this month's developer meeting.  Attendees agree that automake is _basically_ a good thing to have.  However:
>
> - We also have to support nmake.
> - In order to do so, we have a Makefile named `common.mk` which includes most part of rules that are in common between nmake and others.
> - Automake migration should not break this part.  The difficulty is here.

That all sounds reasonable, and I'm happy to hear that there is interest in the community.

It will likely be much less effort if we get some buy-in from the nmake folks as well.  To that end, I've reached out to a friend who was on the Visual Studio team for quite a long time.  I hope to hear back from someone in Redmond who can help us to bridge the gap here.

Misc #12124: Use Automake