On 2016/03/17 15:00, shyouhei / ruby-lang.org wrote:
> About 64bit versus 32bit index: several developers discussed this on this month's developer meeting.  Consensus there was that we do not want to limit Hash size, while it is true that over 99% of hashes are smaller than 4G entries, and it is definitely a good idea to optimize to them.  We did not reach a consensus as to how should we achieve that, though.  Proposed ideas include:  switch index type using configure, have 8/16/32/64bit versions in parallel and switch smoothly with increasing hash size.

Compliment:

(1) switch index type using configure

Easy. However, we can not test both versions.

(2) have 8/16/32/64bit versions in parallel and switch smoothly with
increasing hash size.

There is one more:

(3) st only supports 32bit, but Hash object support 64bit using another
technique (maybe having multiple tables).

Anyway, we concluded that this optimization should be introduced for Rub
2.4 even if it only supports 64bit. Optimization with 32bit length index
is nice, but we can optimize later.

--
// SASADA Koichi at atdot dot net