Issue #12173 has been updated by Matthew Kerwin.

Tsuyoshi Sawada wrote:
> Matthew Kerwin wrote:
> > Please note that "till_now" is not correct spelling; it should be "until_now" or "til_now"
>
> *till* and *until* are the correct spelling. Perhaps you are confusing it with *'til* (which is pretty much informal).

*till* means cash register, or to plough soil. *'til* is an abbreviation of *until*, which isn't allowed in Ruby syntax so I dropped the apostrophe.

Feature #12173: `Time#till_now`

* Author: Tsuyoshi Sawada
* Assignee:
It is very frequent to have a time instance:

~~~RUBY
t = Time.now
~~~

and then after some operations, do:

~~~RUBY
Time.now - t
~~~

I propose `Time#till_now`, which is equivalent to:

~~~RUBY
class Time
  def till_now; self.class.now - self end
end
~~~

and similar methods can perhaps be defined on `Date` and `DateTime` classes as well. Another candidate for the method name is `until_now`.

Then we can do:

~~~RUBY
t = Time.now
# some heavy operation