On Tue, Jan 21, 2003 at 11:16:39AM +0900, Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:
> |4. I don't know what's supposed to be the difference between site-install
> |and install, but the directory that "install" installs into is not the one
> |my extension was installing into before mkmf came here.
>
> The one install the extension should decide whether it is going to be
> installed by site-install or install.  site-install was originally
> introduced for the extensions and libraries not controlled under
> platform's packaging system.
BTW, I implemented a mimic of Perl's vendor-install for 1.7. It separates
notion of 'install' to two different components: one for prepackaged
extensions which are provided by Ruby itself (stdlibs) and second for
vendor's prepackaged extensions. In this case site-install is used for
local extensions, not controlled under packaging system.

For example, for ALT Linux it looks like:

Places where Ruby itself is installed:
archdir = /usr/lib/ruby/1.7/i586-linux-gnu
rubylibdir = /usr/share/ruby/1.7

Site-specific installation paths:
sitearchdir = /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.7/i586-linux-gnu
sitedir = /usr/local/share/ruby/site_ruby
sitelibdir = /usr/local/share/ruby/site_ruby/1.7

Vendor-specific pre-packaged extensions go to:
vendorarchdir = /usr/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/1.7/i586-linux-gnu
vendordir = /usr/share/ruby/vendor_ruby

As you may see, there is also a separation between libdir and datadir as
required by FHS for object code and data files.

Would you be interested in seeing this patch? It is pretty compact.

--
/ Alexander Bokovoy
---