Issue #12142 has been updated by Yura Sokolov.

Vladimir, you acts as if i said a rubbish or i'm trying to cheat you. It makes me angry.

You wrote:
> I believe your code above is incorrect for tables of sizes of power of 2.
> The function should look like h(k,i) = (h(k) + c1 * i + c2 * i^2) mod m,
> where "c1 = c2 = 1/2 is a good choice". You can not simplify it.

And you cited Wikipedia
> With the exception of the triangular number case for a power-of-two-sized hash table,
> there is no guarantee of finding an empty cell once the table gets more than half full

But couple of lines above you cited my cite from Wikipedia:
> This leads to a probe sequence of h(k), h(k)+1, h(k)+3, h(k)+6, ...
> where the values increase by 1, 2, 3, ...

Do you read carefully before answer?
**It is** implementation of **triangular number** sequence - single quadratic probing
sequence which walks across all elements of `2^n` table.

You even can remember arithmetic: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arithmetic_progression
````
(1/2)*i + (1/2)*i*i = i*(i+1)/2 = 1 + 2 + 3 + ... + (i-1) + i
````
Or use Ruby to check you sentence:
````
2.1.5 :002 > p, d = 0, 1; 8.times.map{ a=p; p=(p+d)&7; d+=1; a}
 => [0, 1, 3, 6, 2, 7, 5, 4]
2.1.5 :008 > p = 0; 8.times.map{|i| a=p+ 0.5*i + 0.5*i*i; a.to_i&7}
 => [0, 1, 3, 6, 2, 7, 5, 4]
````
If you still don't believe me, read this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triangular_number

Google Dense/Sparse hash uses this sequence with table of `2^n`
https://github.com/sparsehash/sparsehash/blob/75ada1728b8b18ce80d4052b55b0d16cc6782f4b/doc/implementation.html#L153
https://github.com/sparsehash/sparsehash/blob/a61a6ba7adbc4e3a7545843a72c530bf35604dae/src/sparsehash/internal/densehashtable.h#L650-L651
https://github.com/sparsehash/sparsehash/blob/a61a6ba7adbc4e3a7545843a72c530bf35604dae/src/sparsehash/internal/densehashtable.h#L119

khash uses quadratic probing now with table of `2^n`
https://github.com/lh3/minimap/blob/master/khash.h#L51-L53
https://github.com/lh3/minimap/blob/master/khash.h#L273

Please, check your self before saying other man is mistaken.
Or at least say with less level of confidence.

> Also as I wrote before your proposal means just throwing away the biggest part of hash value even if it is a 32-bit hash.
> I don't think ignoring the big part of the hash is a good idea as it probably worsens collision avoiding.

Please about Birthday Paradox **carefully** https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birthday_problem
Yes, it will certainly increase probability of hash value collision, but only for *very HUGE* hash tables.
And it doesn't affect length of a collision chain (cause `2^n` tables uses only low bits).
It just affects probability of excess call to equality check on value, but not too much:

http://math.stackexchange.com/a/35798

````
> N = (2**32).to_f
4294967296.0
> n = 100_000_000.0
100000000.0
> collisions = n*(1-(1-1/N)**(n-1))
 => 2301410.50385877
> collisions / n
0.0230141050385877
> n = 300_000_000.0
100000000.0
> collisions = n*(1-(1-1/N)**(n-1))
 => 20239667.356876057
> collisions / n
 => 0.06746555785625352
````
In other words, only 2% of full hash collisions on a Hash with 100_000_000 elements, and 7% for 300_000_000 elements.
Can you measure, how much time will consume insertion of 100_000_000 elements to a Hash (current or your implementation),
and how much memory it will consume? Int=>Int ? String=>String?

At my work, we use a huge in-memory hash tables (hundreds of millions elements) (custom in-memory db, not Ruby),
and it uses 32bit hashsum. No any problem. At this

> Also about storing only part of the hash. Can it affect rubygems? It may be a part of API. But I don't know anything about it

gems ought to be recompiled, but no code change.

> I routinely use a few machines for my development with 128GB memory.

But you wouldn't use Ruby process which consumes 100GB of memory using Ruby Hash. Otherwise you get a big trouble (with GC for example).
If you need to store such amount of data within Ruby Process, you'd better make your own datastructure.
I've maid one for my needs :
https://rubygems.org/gems/inmemory_kv
https://github.com/funny-falcon/inmemory_kv
It also can store only `2^31` elements, but hardly beleive you will ever store more inside of Ruby process.

>> Could you imagine that Hash with 1M elements starts to rebuild?
> I can. The current tables do it all the time already and it means traversing all the elements as in the proposed tables case.

Current st_table rebuilds only if its size grow. Your table will rebuild even if size is not changed much, but elements are inserted and deleted repeatedly (1 add, 1 delete, 1 add, 1 delete)

>> May be it is better to keep st_index_t prev, next in struct st_table_entry (or struct st_table_elements as you called it) ?
> Sorry, I can not catch what do you mean. What prev, next should be used for.
> How can it avoid table rebuilding which always mean traversing all elements to find a new entry or bucket for the elements.

Yeah, it is inevitable to maintain free list for finding free element.
But `prev,next` indices will allow to insert new elements in random places (deleted before),
cause iteration will go by this pseudo-pointers.

Perhaps, it is better to make a separate LRU hash structure instead in a standard library,
and keep Hash implementation as you suggest.
I really like this case, but it means Ruby will have two hash tables - for Hash and for LRU.

Feature #12142: Hash tables with open addressing