Issue #12142 has been updated by Vladimir Makarov.

Yusuke Endoh wrote:
> Great, but it seems to need more work.  It consumes nearly 2 times much memory.
>
> ~~~~
> # trunk
> $ /usr/bin/time -f %Mkb ./miniruby -e '(0..1000000).map { { 1 => 1 } }'
> 280108kb
>
> # hash_tables_with_open_addressing branch
> $ /usr/bin/time -f %Mkb ./miniruby -e '(0..1000000).map { { 1 => 1 } }'
> 500264kb
> ~~~~

Thanks for the numbers.  Is it a real world scenario?  I mean using huge
numbers of only small tables.  I can imagine this when hash tables were used
for Ruby method tables.  But it is not the case now.

May be I am wrong but I don't see how it helps with memory problems (mostly
GC) which dynamic languages experience.

But if you think that memory for such cases is important we can implement
the same approach as for the current hash tables when they are small.  Simply
the code will be more complicated.  I started this work once but I did not
like the code complication (the code might be a bit slower too as we need to check
in many places what variant of the table we use).  Still I can implement it
if people think it is important. Please, just let me know overall people opinion
about necessity of this.

Feature #12142: Hash tables with open addressing