I generally for this, but ...

C.J. Collier wrote:
> It looks like there is a lot of duplicate code that could be removed by making use of automake.
>
> Are there any reasons why this should not be done?

Just because Ruby was born before automake (and matz seems not be familiar with automake when he introduced configure.in).

> I've got some patches up for review here:
>
> https://github.com/ruby/ruby/compare/trunk...LLC-Technologies-Collier:trunk?expand=1

The patch breaks version.h's RUBY_RELEASE_DATE mechanism.

Shyouhei Urabe wrote:
> - I'm afraid automake contaminates this project with GPL.

"Automake places no restrictions on the distribution of the resulting Makefile.ins."
http://www.gnu.org/savannah-checkouts/gnu/automake/manual/html_node/Distributing.html

> - I'm afraid this world is not built on top of GNU.  AFAIK automake forces us to use GNU make, which breaks compatibility.

With `AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE([-Wportability foreign 1.9])` or something, you can keep portability.

Misc #12124: Use Automake

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/