Issue #12079 has been updated by Tsuyoshi Sawada.

There is a point that needs to be made clear regarding this proposal: whether the symbol or string used in the construction has to be a literal. I think there would be use cases where the symbol/string is expressed as more complex expression:

~~~RUBY
module Foo
  refine String do
    def baz; end

def a
  case some_expression
  when "x" then :baz
  when "y" then :bar

using Foo
["a", "b", "c"].map(&(some_condition ? :baz : :bar))
"a".__send__("BAZ".downcase)
"a".send(a)
~~~
In order for the proposal to be useful, I think the relevant symbol/string should not be restricted to literals. Furthermore, the location where the expression is expanded to a symbol/string should not matter; solely the location of `&` or `send`, etc. should matter. In above, while `send` is within the scope of refinement, `a`, which can be possibly expanded to `:baz`, is expanded outside of the scope of refinement. In such cases too, I think the refinement should be effective.

Feature #12079: Loosening the condition for refinement