on windows, i also have to take "desktop.ini" files into consideration, and
on mac there are ".DS_Store" files; none of these are truly directory
contents, but rather for directory configuration;

ignores = [ '..', '.', 'desktop.ini', '.DS_Store' ]

and there are even more .files and .directories on *nix, graphical *nix and
virtual *nix systems, none of which are truly directory contents;