Issue #12037 has been updated by Martin Drst.

Yuki Nishijima wrote:

> Martin, your idea sounds great to me, but I think it sounds more like a feature. Could you create a new issue so we can hear from other committers?

Yuki, I can do that, but do we really need feature requests for gems?

Bug #12037: did_you_mean reporting impossible suggestion

* Author: Chris Arcand
* Assignee: Yuki Nishijima
* ruby -v: 2.3.0
* Backport: 2.0.0: UNKNOWN, 2.1: UNKNOWN, 2.2: UNKNOWN, 2.3: UNKNOWN
The did_you_mean feature in Ruby 2.3.0 reports an impossible suggestion when you define whatever is being called in the current scope after it is being called:

~~~
irb(main):001:0> def foo
irb(main):002:1> bar
irb(main):003:1> bar = "baz"
irb(main):004:1> end
=> :foo
irb(main):005:0> foo
NameError: undefined local variable or method `bar' for main:Object
Did you mean?  bar
        from (irb):2:in `foo'
        from (irb):5
        from /Users/carcand/.rbenv/versions/2.3.0/bin/irb:11:in `<main>'
~~~

I imagine this could be *very* confusing for newcomers to Ruby; I've not looked in to how the gem works but if a way to suppress the suggestion in this particular context might be appropriate.

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/