Andrew, please stop digging. Your hole is only getting deeper.

1. You are trying, once again, to derail the conversation with something
(in this case, the °»No Code of Conduct°…) that does not actually address any
of the *very real* problems we have seen presented in the last two weeks.

2.  You cited a known hate-monger, Theodore Beale. Mr Beale (aka °»Vox Day°…)
has the dubious distinction of being the only person kicked out of the SFWA
for abuse of an SFWA platform to spread a racist, misogynistic message
about another SFWA author. All of this weakens any argument you might
actually have. (If you doubt me, read PZ Meyers on Beale.)

It is possible to believe that a CoC is not necessary and argue so fairly
rationally (as Robert Klemme has done). It is not possible to do so while
repeating and spreading the sort of message that Beale promotes. It is not
possible to do so while saying that this is all the fault of °»the SJWs°… who
want to take over Ruby from Matz and others. These are dark and emotional
arguments that cause great amounts of pain unnecessarily.

Over the last two weeks, there have been posts by people°Ĺmostly, but not
exclusively, trolls°Ĺwho have demonstrated quite clearly that they *aren°«t*
adults and don°«t know how to treat others without being racist,
exclusionary, or just plain asinine. This behaviour *clearly* says that
MINASWAN *isn°«t* enough. I wish it were, but it clearly isn°«t. :(

On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 2:38 PM, <andrew.kirilenko / gmail.com> wrote:

> Issue #12004 has been updated by Andrew Kirilenko.
>

> Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:
> > OK, that's enough.
> >
> > We will set up some form of CoC in the future. Let me think for a while
> which one we are going to choose.
> >
> > Matz.
>
> What about this one
> https://github.com/domgetter/NCoC/blob/master/CODE_OF_CONDUCT.md
>
> Also, if any of you are not sure what's going on and who are all these
> nice people, please read
> http://www.voxday.net/mart/SJW_Attack_Survival_Guide.pdf

> Misc #12004: Code of Conduct
>
> * Author: Coraline Ada Ehmke
> * Assignee: Yukihiro Matsumoto
> I am the creator of the Contributor Covenant, a code of conduct for Open
> Source projects. At last count there are over 13,000 projects on Github
> that have adopted it. This past year saw adoption of Contributor Covenant
> by a lot of very large, very visible projects, including Rails, Github's
> Atom text editor, Angular JS, bundler, curl, diaspora, discourse, Eclipse,
> rspec, shoes, and rvm. The bundler team made code of conduct integration an
> option in the gem creation workflow, putting it on par with license
> selection. Many open source language communities have already adopted the
> code of conduct, including Elixir, Mono, the .NET foundation, F#, and
> Apple's Swift. RubyTogether also adopted a policy to only fund Ruby
> projects that had a solid code of conduct in place.
>
> Right now in the PHP community there is a healthy debate about adopting
> the Contributor Covenant. Since it came from and has been so widely adopted
> by the Ruby community at large, I think it's time that we consider adopting
> it for the core Ruby language as well.
>
> Our community prides itself on niceness. What a code of conduct does is
> define what we mean by nice. It states clearly that we value openness,
> courtesy, and compassion. That we care about and want contributions from
> people who may be different from us. That we pledge to respect all
> contributors regardless of their race, gender, sexual orientation, or other
> factors. And it makes it clear that we are prepared to follow through on
> these values with action when and if an incident arises.
>
> I'm asking that we join with the larger Ruby community in supporting the
> adoption of the Contributor Covenant for the Ruby language. I think that
> this will be an important step forward and will ensure the continued
> welcoming and supportive environment around Ruby. You can read the full
> text of the Contributor Covenant at
> http://contributor-covenant.org/version/1/3/0/ and learn more at
> http://contributor-covenant.org/.
>
> Thanks for your consideration and I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

> Screen Shot 2016-01-22 at 6.45.23 PM.png (595 KB)
> Ruby_Code_of_Conduct_Numbers.png (119 KB)
> Ruby_Code_of_Conduct_Discussion.png (143 KB)
>

> --
> https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/

Austin Ziegler  halostatue / gmail.com  austin / halostatue.ca
http://www.halostatue.ca/  http://twitter.com/halostatue
(supressed text/html)