On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 5:15 PM, Andrew Kirilenko <
andrew.kirilenko / gmail.com> wrote:

> 1. While I am using Ruby for past 15 years literally on daily basis, I am
> not affilated with the Ruby project in any way. What I will state below
> should be interpreted as my personal opinion and should not be used against
> Ruby project in any form.
> 2. I have nothing against people with any sexual habbits. Personally, I
> have FtM friend and quite few gay friends. I respect them for what they do
> in their professional life and/or other areas we share. I can't care less
> for what they do in their bedrooms. It's their life, they can do whatever
> they want with it.

3. I separate my professional activities from my other activities. I'd work
> with trans, gay, child molester, serial killer, even Hitler himself if they
> will add value to the project, I'm working on.

A couple of quick notes, starting here: your statement here is something
that reflects a systematic cultural bias. In general, people of minority
status cannot separate their minority status(es) from their professional
work any more than people of majority status can separate their majority
status(es) from their professional work. It may seem like someone who is in
a majority position can do so, but that is only because their majority
status *permeates the culture* within which they work. Understand, I am
*not* passing judgement on this systematic cultural bias, merely calling it
out as an explicit thing. People who are minorities are *consistently*
reminded of that minority status on a regular basis without anyone even
trying.

> Does Ruby project need this code of conduct? Definitely no. I interacted
> with community (mostly @ IRC channel) and it was ALWAYS nice, welcoming and
> helpful. No exceptions. Even matz answered my (not always properly
> formulated, I must admit) questions several times. No one asked anything
> about my sex, age, skin color, nationality, religious believes or anything
> else not related to the problem in question. I simply don't see problem
> which should be solved with this code of conduct.

This is a deflection. The problem that some of us are calling out is that
*you may not see the problems* because you are not attuned to them. I
rarely see the problems because Im not attuned to them naturally (this is
something I have to work at because I reflect the majority in many
different ways).

> Now let's look at Coraline's github. What we see there? Right, code of
> conduct itself and few forks and hello worlds. Did she added anything
> useful to community? Maybe, but not for me. Rest of the guys and gils from
> this fine group? I forced myself to check 5 more accounts (in order of
> appearing in (in)famous opal #941) - all the same - endless hello worlds
> and playgrounds. Nothing even remotely useful. Of course, my opinion is
> biased by Coraline's personality here, so I might be totally wrong. So,
> Coraline, show us your code and I'll appologize to you personally. And no,
> statements of your friends "Coraline is one of the most seasoned developers
> I seen" or "Coraline is panelist of ruby rogues" (I don't even understand
> what does it mean) does not count.

See, this is part of the problem. Yes, there are women who code. But there
are subtle disincentives to contribution for a lot of women, and
comparisons like this (I havent seen anything useful, so nothing shes
done must be useful) are one such disincentive.

If you want a few examples from the Ruby community, look at:

* mperham/sidekiq
* rails/rails (or rails/rails.github.com)
* rspec/rspec

Ive only added it to mime-types/ruby-mime-types so far, but will be adding
it to halostatue/diff-lcs, halostatue/minitar, and halostatue/color in the
coming months (among others as I make modifications).

Im not looking to make anyone believe what I believe. What Im telling
people is that as long as Im running those projects and maintaining those
gems, I will be holding both myself and anyone who contributes to the
projects to a high standard designed to combat harassment and create a more
welcoming environment.

-a
--
Austin Ziegler  halostatue / gmail.com  austin / halostatue.ca
http://www.halostatue.ca/  http://twitter.com/halostatue