Chuck:

C4.1 contains a poorly-specified, but *real* code of conduct:

Administrators SHOULD block or ban "bad actors" who cause stress and pain
> to others in the project. This should be done after public discussion, with
> a chance for all parties to speak. A bad actor is someone who repeatedly
> ignores the rules and culture of the project, who is needlessly
> argumentative or hostile, or who is offensive, and who is unable to
> self-correct their behavior when asked to do so by others

The °»rules and culture°… of the project do not appear to be written, at
least there, but they are guidelines toward participation. (It would be
better if they were written.)

C4.1 is also a really good document overall. With changes to reflect Ruby°«s
nature, licensing, etc. (plus a bit to specify some of Ruby°«s °»rules and
culture°…), it would probably be a good option here.

However, the mass adoption of CoCs by projects has only started over the
last year or so; push for this data next year. I suspect that 0mq didn°«t
see an immediate pick-up, but saw it as a result of (1) application of C4.1
and (2) outreach. I don°«t know since I°«m not part of that community.

As I have said earlier in this thread, I am not *that* interested in the
having *some* CoC that makes one°«s stance on harassment clear as a clear
°»right°….

-a

On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 11:58 AM, <git / chuckremes.com> wrote:

> [...]
> project fork but afterwards it was vibrant X 10.
>
> This community renewal all occurred without a CoC.
>
> It could be argued that the Ruby community is already stronger than the
> zeromq community but it could always be stronger. Perhaps it should look to
> the C4.1 process as a potential way for improving interest and
> participation?
>
> At minimum, the CoC proponents should *prove* via some metric (community
> participation, more/better PRs, bug reports, etc) that adopting a CoC will
> benefit this project. So far it just sounds like more work for Core.

> Misc #12004: Code of Conduct
>
> * Author: Coraline Ada Ehmke
> * Assignee: Yukihiro Matsumoto
> I am the creator of the Contributor Covenant, a code of conduct for Open
> Source projects. At last count there are over 13,000 projects on Github
> that have adopted it. This past year saw adoption of Contributor Covenant
> by a lot of very large, very visible projects, including Rails, Github's
> Atom text editor, Angular JS, bundler, curl, diaspora, discourse, Eclipse,
> rspec, shoes, and rvm. The bundler team made code of conduct integration an
> option in the gem creation workflow, putting it on par with license
> selection. Many open source language communities have already adopted the
> code of conduct, including Elixir, Mono, the .NET foundation, F#, and
> Apple's Swift. RubyTogether also adopted a policy to only fund Ruby
> projects that had a solid code of conduct in place.
>
> Right now in the PHP community there is a healthy debate about adopting
> the Contributor Covenant. Since it came from and has been so widely adopted
> by the Ruby community at large, I think it's time that we consider adopting
> it for the core Ruby language as well.
>
> Our community prides itself on niceness. What a code of conduct does is
> define what we mean by nice. It states clearly that we value openness,
> courtesy, and compassion. That we care about and want contributions from
> people who may be different from us. That we pledge to respect all
> contributors regardless of their race, gender, sexual orientation, or other
> factors. And it makes it clear that we are prepared to follow through on
> these values with action when and if an incident arises.
>
> I'm asking that we join with the larger Ruby community in supporting the
> adoption of the Contributor Covenant for the Ruby language. I think that
> this will be an important step forward and will ensure the continued
> welcoming and supportive environment around Ruby. You can read the full
> text of the Contributor Covenant at
> http://contributor-covenant.org/version/1/3/0/ and learn more at
> http://contributor-covenant.org/.
>
> Thanks for your consideration and I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

> Screen Shot 2016-01-22 at 6.45.23 PM.png (595 KB)
> Ruby_Code_of_Conduct_Numbers.png (119 KB)
> Ruby_Code_of_Conduct_Discussion.png (143 KB)

Austin Ziegler  halostatue / gmail.com  austin / halostatue.ca
http://www.halostatue.ca/  http://twitter.com/halostatue
(supressed text/html)