On 2016/01/26 01:32, Austin Ziegler wrote:
> I sorry, but this, like the code of merit, is merely a derailing tactic.
> People have been pushing the myth of meritocracy in OSS for years, but *it
> just isn so*. Ignore the fact that meritocracy as a term [was coined in
> 1958](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meritocracy) in a satirical work
> condemning the concept, if you must,

The proposal you cited (The Pragmatists Code of Conduct) doesn't use the
actual term. Also, there are many words in many languages that may have
doubtful origins long ago, but nevertheless are used without such
connotations in present-day language.

> but consider the following articles
> which talk about the problems withnd some offer solutions tohe problems
> with assuming that eritis an appropriate measure:

For lack of time, I haven't read them all. Those that I have read point
out that 'meritocracy' (or whatever we want to call it) isn't perfect. I
too agree that it would not be good to assume that any 'meritocracy' is
perfect.

But let's make an analogy, a word with the same ending: Democracy.
One of the famous sayings about it is "democracy is the worst form of
Government except for all those other forms" (short form). I wouldn't
know a democracy where one couldn't point out some shortcomings. And
there are countries, even some that carry the word "democratic" in their
name, where "democracy" is practiced in a way that would make it very
easy to discredit the overall concept. But that doesn't mean that it's
not the best form of government available, only that where necessary and
possible, we should work on improving it. (This is of course not
something for the Ruby community, but totally separate and up to each
individual.)

In my opinion, there are similar aspects in 'meritocracy'. Judging
contributions on technical merit is extremely important for a successful
open source project. That doesn't mean that it should be the only
criterion; being rude to somebody because they sent in 'bad' code isn't
a good idea.

> * [Is Tech a Meritocracy](http://istechameritocracy.com)”½this has a lot of
> links to more stories.

[other links removed, please see earlier in the thread]

> If you read these with an open mind, you will *perhaps* start to understand
> why some folks, including myself, think that Codes of Conduct are more
> positive than negative or dangerous. You don”Ēt need to agree, but
> understanding that we are coming from a place where we believe the myth of
> meritocracy to be actively harmful will help.

I personally don't think that Codes of Conduct are negative or dangerous
if appropriately worded and applied.

A "myth of meritocracy" may definitely be harmful, but acknowledging
that striving for technical excellence is part of the Ruby (specifically
(C)Ruby Core) community shouldn't be harmful.