Issue #12004 has been updated by mathew murphy.

Jonathan Eyler-Werve wrote:
> If I were moderating this exchange, I think a clear set of guidelines for participation with clear enforcement policies would be useful right now.

Exactly. All discussions of Codes of Conduct eventually demonstrate the need for a Code of Conduct.

Also, I can't help chuckling at the argument that Ruby has been safe and peaceful without a CoC and hence doesn't need one -- just do a Google search for 'ruby drama'.

Anyhow, speaking as someone who isn't a sockpuppet, I feel the Contributor Covenant is a perfectly acceptable Code of Conduct. Some other CoC would probably also work, of course.

The problem I see with the PostgreSQL CoC in particular is that it says collaboration should be "free of personal attacks and disparaging remarks of any kind", but doesn't explain what it means by those terms. My experience suggests that if you don't set out in plain language a list of things that are unacceptable, people will say "But #{epithet} isn't disparaging, it's purely descriptive!" and start sealioning dictionary definitions. And sure, you can't build an exhaustive list, but some list works better than no list.

Misc #12004: Code of Conduct