I”Ēm sorry, but this, like the code of merit, is merely a derailing tactic.
People have been pushing the myth of meritocracy in OSS for years, but *it
just isn”Ēt so*. Ignore the fact that meritocracy as a term [was coined in
1958](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meritocracy) in a satirical work
condemning the concept, if you must, but consider the following articles
which talk about the problems with”½and some offer solutions to”½the problems
with assuming that ”ČMerit”É is an appropriate measure:

* [Is Tech a Meritocracy](http://istechameritocracy.com)”½this has alot of
links to more stories.
* [Open Source Projects and the Meritocracy Myth](
http://www.datamation.com/osrc/article.php/3850561/Open-Source-Projects-and-the-Meritocracy-Myth.htm)
and [Open Source Meritocracy is More than a Joke](
http://www.datamation.com/open-source/open-source-meritocracy-is-more-than-a-joke.html
).
* [Building a Positive Meritocracy: It”Ēs Harder than It Sounds](
https://opensource.com/business/10/8/building-positive-meritocracy-its-harder-it-sounds
)
* [The Hidden Power Dynamics of Open Source](
https://modelviewculture.com/pieces/the-hidden-power-dynamics-of-open-source
)
* [Diversity is a Crucial Component of Meritocracy](
https://opensource.com/business/14/10/interview-delisa-alexander-red-hat)
* [Making it Past the Lobby of the Meritocracy](
https://modelviewculture.com/pieces/making-it-past-the-lobby-of-the-meritocracy
)
* [The Open Source Identity Crisis](
https://modelviewculture.com/pieces/the-open-source-identity-crisis)
* [The Dehumanizing Myth of the Meritocracy](
https://modelviewculture.com/pieces/the-dehumanizing-myth-of-the-meritocracy
)
* [FLOSSPOLS, Sexism, and Why Meritocracy Really Isn”Ēt](
http://blog.nerdchic.net/archives/134)
* [Questioning the Merit of Meritocracy](
http://geekfeminism.org/2009/11/29/questioning-the-merit-of-meritocracy/)

If you read these with an open mind, you will *perhaps* start to understand
why some folks, including myself, think that Codes of Conduct are more
positive than negative or dangerous. You don”Ēt need to agree, but
understanding that we are coming from a place where we believe the myth of
meritocracy to be actively harmful will help.

On Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 8:06 AM, <nekocat432 / yahoo.com> wrote:

> Issue #12004 has been updated by Ruby Dino.
>

> I've found a good CoC everyone who isn't trying to push an agenda may find
> acceptable.
>

> https://github.com/amacgregor/Pragmatists-Code-of-Conduct/blob/master/Prag-Code-of-Conduct.md
>
> The Pragmatists Code of Conduct
> 1.- Ideas considered equally and must stand on it's own merit and not the
> reputation of the proponent.
>
> 2.- This code of conduct only governs the technical process of the project.
>
> 3.- All comments, contributions and interactions are assumed in good faith
> unless obvious evidence of contrary.
>
> 4.- While interacting with other project contributors in any of the
> official channels you are expected to show others civility and courtesy.
>
> 5.- The project creator and maintainers reserver the right to remove
> anyone that is deemed as acting on bad faith.
>
> 6.- This code of conduct is limited to only the official project spaces as
> defined by the project creator/maintainers.
>
> 7.- The project creator has final say in every decision of the project,
> technical or otherwise, including overruling previous decisions. There are
> no limitations to this decisional power.
>
> 8.- We only care about your contributions to the project, personal
> identifiers, including but not limited to, gender, sexual preference,
> religion, nationality, political preference, race, ethnicity, age, body
> type or disabilities are not relevant to your contributions or to the
> discussion.

> Misc #12004: Code of Conduct
>
> * Author: Coraline Ada Ehmke
> * Assignee: Yukihiro Matsumoto
> I am the creator of the Contributor Covenant, a code of conduct for Open
> Source projects. At last count there are over 13,000 projects on Github
> that have adopted it. This past year saw adoption of Contributor Covenant
> by a lot of very large, very visible projects, including Rails, Github's
> Atom text editor, Angular JS, bundler, curl, diaspora, discourse, Eclipse,
> rspec, shoes, and rvm. The bundler team made code of conduct integration an
> option in the gem creation workflow, putting it on par with license
> selection. Many open source language communities have already adopted the
> code of conduct, including Elixir, Mono, the .NET foundation, F#, and
> Apple's Swift. RubyTogether also adopted a policy to only fund Ruby
> projects that had a solid code of conduct in place.
>
> Right now in the PHP community there is a healthy debate about adopting
> the Contributor Covenant. Since it came from and has been so widely adopted
> by the Ruby community at large, I think it's time that we consider adopting
> it for the core Ruby language as well.
>
> Our community prides itself on niceness. What a code of conduct does is
> define what we mean by nice. It states clearly that we value openness,
> courtesy, and compassion. That we care about and want contributions from
> people who may be different from us. That we pledge to respect all
> [...]

Austin Ziegler  halostatue / gmail.com  austin / halostatue.ca
http://www.halostatue.ca/  http://twitter.com/halostatue
(supressed text/html)