On Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 2:22 AM, <rubyamateur / wbml.net> wrote:

> Issue #12004 has been updated by Ruby Amateur.
>
> The more I contemplate the [revised code of conduct (or "community
> guidelines") by Caroline Ada Ehmke](
> https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/12004#note-347), on one hand I like the
> idea of allowing confidential addressing of grievences. However, I don't
> fully understand how the moderation of the Ruby community can be handled.
> First of all it requires infrastructure and policy to implement even the
> most basic grievence handling. Furthermore, I feel if left to Matz and his
> Japanese delegates (due to enforcing local laws), either side of a
> complaint can skillfully feign ignorance due to language barrier. It also
> places a lot of mental burden deciding and judging what complies with the
> code of conduct and what doesn't. **Lastly, I feel like code of conducts
> with enforcement and punitive measures is like giving delegates of a
> community firearms when the community was safe and peaceful for 20 years.**

I can see your point here, but I disagree. 1) There are several people in
the community who have gained Matz°«s trust over the years who could*also*
assist with handling conduct complaints. 2) The biggest complaint against
codes of conduct is that they *can* be enforced unfairly. I see the
enforcement/measures bits as reducing the opportunity for rules to be
applied unfairly.

> On the other hand, [Jeremy Evan's proposed Code of Conduct in #329](
> https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/12004#note-329) is far simpler, easier
> to understand, and doesn't burden the project and community. I also think
> we can consider addressing grievences, punitive measuers, and enforcement
> at a later time. I just don't see the need to future proof these policies
> today, especially during a heated discussion where people are upset. I
> think if the community has proper data points collected to warrant
> enforcement and punitive measures, we should consider it.

I don°«t agree, especially on the matter of having *somewhere* to make
confidential reports. Having guidelines and/or enforcement limits
(°»sanctions up to and including temporary or permanent exclusion from°ń°…)
reduces the ability to apply community standards or rules unfairly. IMO.

-a
--
Austin Ziegler  halostatue / gmail.com  austin / halostatue.ca
http://www.halostatue.ca/  http://twitter.com/halostatue