I think that the original Postgres version is better than your amended one,
Jeremy. I think you’ve removed too much. I still think that it should be
clearer about permissible actions for violations, but I also know that Matz
is opposed to this (it should be clearer so that it is harder for the
actions to be disclaimed as unfair when they *are* taken).

-a

On Sat, Jan 23, 2016 at 4:24 PM, <merch-redmine / jeremyevans.net> wrote:

> Issue #12004 has been updated by Jeremy Evans.
>

> Since I originally posted my proposal for a CoC, based on PostgreSQL's
> draft CoC, PostgreSQL has updated their draft.  The current version can
> be found at
> http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/56A2E9C5.2040707 / commandprompt.com.
> I think the changes they made to some of the language improves it. As
> before, I believe we should remove the parts unrelated to conduct.
> Here's my updated proposed CoC:
>
> ~~~
> == Ruby Community Code of Conduct (CoC) ==
>
> This document provides community guidelines for a safe, respectful,
> productive, and collaborative place for any person who is willing to
> contribute to the Ruby community. It applies to all "collaborative
> space", which is defined as community communications channels (such as
> mailing lists, IRC, submitted patches, commit comments, etc.).
>
> * Participants must ensure that their language and actions are free
> of personal attacks and disparaging personal remarks.
>
> * Behaviour which can be reasonably considered harassment will not be
> tolerated.
> ~~~
>
> The main changes are:
>
> 1) Removal of the "disrupt the collaborative space" clause, as that can
>    more easily lead to selective enforcement.
>
> 2) It makes clear that it is harassing behavior that will not be
>    tolerated, instead of people themselves.
>
> It's also shorter, which is good.

> Misc #12004: Code of Conduct
>
> * Author: Coraline Ada Ehmke
> * Assignee: Yukihiro Matsumoto
> I am the creator of the Contributor Covenant, a code of conduct for Open
> Source projects. At last count there are over 13,000 projects on Github
> that have adopted it. This past year saw adoption of Contributor Covenant
> by a lot of very large, very visible projects, including Rails, Github's
> Atom text editor, Angular JS, bundler, curl, diaspora, discourse, Eclipse,
> rspec, shoes, and rvm. The bundler team made code of conduct integration an
> option in the gem creation workflow, putting it on par with license
> selection. Many open source language communities have already adopted the
> code of conduct, including Elixir, Mono, the .NET foundation, F#, and
> Apple's Swift. RubyTogether also adopted a policy to only fund Ruby
> projects that had a solid code of conduct in place.
>
> Right now in the PHP community there is a healthy debate about adopting
> the Contributor Covenant. Since it came from and has been so widely adopted
> by the Ruby community at large, I think it's time that we consider adopting
> it for the core Ruby language as well.
>
> Our community prides itself on niceness. What a code of conduct does is
> define what we mean by nice. It states clearly that we value openness,
> courtesy, and compassion. That we care about and want contributions from
> people who may be different from us. That we pledge to respect all
> [...]

Austin Ziegler  halostatue / gmail.com  austin / halostatue.ca
http://www.halostatue.ca/  http://twitter.com/halostatue
(supressed text/html)