On Tue, 7 Feb 2006, Evan Webb wrote:

> I'd by far prefer it never emit a warning. The warning is assumes you
> probably didnt mean to use an assignment there, but in fact thats
> exactly what I wanted to do. It's a carry over warning from when matz
> put in warnings to help with gotchas for new users. It's time to
> remove it entirely. Once we have a good lint, I recommend we remove
> all those warnings about assignments in conditional spaces.

i agree.  however -w should not be changed.  simply do

   $VERBOSE=nil

and you will get no warnings.  i use it often due to ruby's over-zealous
warnings

   jib:~/shared/data > ruby  -e' system("nothing")  '
   -e:1: warning: Insecure world writable dir /dmsp/moby-0-1/ahoward/shared/data/., mode 040777

   jib:~/shared/data > ruby  -e'  exec "sh -c exit"  '
   -e:1: warning: Insecure world writable dir /dmsp/moby-0-1/ahoward/shared/data/., mode 040777

which are bloody anoying in a shared research environment.  this fix is quite
easy though

   jib:~/shared/data > ruby  -e'  $VERBOSE=nil; exec "sh -c exit"  '

which argues against changing ruby.  i do think -w0 should be equiv to
$VERBOSE-nil though.  or perhaps a -q setting.

so there's an RCR

   -q(--quiet) => $VERBOSE=nil

cheers.

-a

--
happiness is not something ready-made.  it comes from your own actions.
- h.h. the 14th dali lama