Issue #12004 has been updated by Ted Johansson.

Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:
> Our community have 20+ years of history. We had a few issues in the past, but all of them could be resolve by the communication.

I am a strong proponent of having **a** code of conduct. It is important to be clear with what we expect of each other. However, I think the proposed document is far too focused on punitive action, and I see a lot of cries for "laws" and "enforcement." This apparent thirst for retribution is, in my humble opinion, anathema of the spirit of our community.

I like to think that conflict resolution is something that needs to happen between people, with mediation if needed, when at all possible. I fear this document is to be brandished as a weapon from afar, escalating conflict rather than resolving it, and leading to further polarization instead of harmonization. Having someone understand how their actions were hurtful to someone else, and offer them a chance to apologize, seems far more useful to me than pulling out the ban hammer.

Let's be relentless in our forgiving.

Misc #12004: Code of Conduct