Coraline Ada Ehmke wrote:
> Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:
>
> > I understand the importance of declaration of our intention against harassment (therefore having kind of CoC).
> > But I don't believe that much in (yet another) organization/committee to manage community well.
> > I am afraid legit rules, especially with enforcement, and committee according to it can easily bring bureaucracy, which I hate.
>
> I understand not wanting bureaucracy, but something can and has to be done if a member of the community engages in a campaign of, for example, sexual harassment. There are ways of limiting such an individual's access to the community and to the codebase. There is public censure. If there are no consequences for wrongful activity, then what's even the point of having a code of conduct? It has no teeth.

I understand you try to create an effective way of preventing harassment.
How to prevent spreading information which includes violation is well defined and it is easy to recover the rights of the sender even though the process may fail.
But expulsion is tough action.
As far as I understand, it requires well defined terms and due process.
While I assume CoC is well defined, due process is still hard issue.

And even if we expulse a person who are repeatedly creating new accounts with one time mail address.
Therefore I think removing individual items works almost cases and edge cases should be up to law.

> I'd also like to point out that things like sexual harassment that are not on-the-job are not illegal. Members of the community have to have someone that they can report abuse to, and that person has to be able to do more than say "sorry that's happening to you." If you don't want a committee then at least this delegate responsibility to someone.

As you say sexual harassment in labor law (criminal law) is defined as the one on-the-job.
But at least in Japan such actions are considered as defamation or insult in both criminal law and civil law.
Moreover "When any right of others is infringed by information" service provider must remove it.
http://www.japaneselawtranslation.go.jp/law/detail/?id=2088&vm=04&re=01

Maybe we should have a general contact or something to request to reject/remove/edit.

Misc #12004: Code of Conduct