Issue #12004 has been updated by Richard Drake.

> I'm okay with whatever gets approved by Matz.

Agreed, almost by definition :)

> I like Jeremy's version better if it's acceptable for others.

It's acceptable to me.

What constitutes 'personal attacks and disparaging personal remarks' then becomes the issue, over time. I would continue to advocate that, as is made explicit in the Postgres CoC, focus is confined narrowly to Ruby-related interactions.

Elia saying on Twitter that some groups are not facing reality - it was always more than trans people, and not in the Opal context - should never have been considered harassment that should lead to him being banned from Opal.

Why?

Because the structure of so many important arguments about social, scientific and political issues is precisely that both sides think the other is not facing reality. People taking part in an open source community must be free to debate such matters honestly and vigorously without have to resort to a (different) pseudonym.

Here's another example. The leader of Elia's church last year issued an encyclical about the environment. I agree with the criticism made of that statement here:

http://nypost.com/2015/09/23/on-climate-change-pope-francis-isnt-listening-to-the-worlds-poor/

Lomborg believes the Pope is not facing reality on what the poor want and need. Those who disagree with Lomborg believe he's not facing reality about the potentially catastrophic effect of CO2 emissions.

That's the very essence of the argument - and of many other types of argument.

There must be no fear of being to express oneself on these issues outside of the Ruby context.

As far as expressions within the Ruby context are concerned, here's my favourite on this thread:

> I bring up the case of _why, he was weird, and you know what? We loved him to pieces.

More of that, please.

Misc #12004: Code of Conduct