Strand,

First, PostgreSQL CoC is here http://www.spinics.net/lists/pgsql/msg165105.html

I am not against having CoC in general. As I already mentioned, I have a few concerns on the proposed CoC ("the CoC" hereafter).

1. The CoC has some undefined or ambiguous terms in it. For example how can we define membership of the community? Or what is the community after all.
2. The CoC enforce us (contributors) obligations to watch that some of us may not want.
3. The CoC contains banning members from the community as a punishment. This does not mean anything but hurting individuals. One can easily set up a new identity on the net and re-join to the community as much as he/she wants, Besides that one can regret the previous act and change the attitude.
4. The CoC covers activities/conversations out of "the community". For example, I may tweet something stupid that hurts somebody else, probably due to lack of imagination, and without concrete definition of the community, I myself should be banned. That's the obligation, according to the CoC, because people label me as a creator of the language, so every act of mine cannot be "personal" under the CoC.

Considering above concerns, I cannot accept "the CoC" for the Ruby community. Let me emphasize again: I don't oppose to having CoC for the Ruby community. But not this.

My acceptable modified version of the CoC is like the following

> Contributor Code of Conduct
>
> As contributors and maintainers of this project, and in the interest of fostering an open and welcoming community, we pledge to respect all people who contribute through reporting issues, posting feature requests, updating documentation, submitting pull requests or patches, and other activities.
>
> We are committed to making participation in this project a harassment-free experience for everyone, regardless of level of experience, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, personal appearance, body size, race, ethnicity, age, religion, belief, or nationality.
>
> Examples of unacceptable behavior by participants include:
>
> * The use of sexualized language or imagery
> * Personal attacks
> * Trolling or insulting/derogatory comments
> * Harassment
> * Publishing other's private information, such as physical addresses, without explicit permission
> * Other unethical conduct
>
> Project maintainers may remove, edit, or reject comments, commits, code, wiki edits, issues, and other contributions that are not aligned to this Code of Conduct.
>
> Instances of abusive, harassing, or otherwise unacceptable behavior may be reported by contacting a project maintainer at [INSERT EMAIL ADDRESS]. All complaints will be reviewed and investigated and will result in a response that is deemed necessary and appropriate to the circumstances. Maintainers are obligated to maintain confidentiality with regard to the reporter of an incident.

Some may feel it doesn't enbodies Social Justice, some may feel it's still too much. I welcome your opinion.

Matz.

Misc #12004: Code of Conduct