Issue #10320 has been updated by Jrg W Mittag.

Nobuyoshi Nakada wrote:
> I think this feature should be an instance method of `Module`, similar to `load` rather than `require`.

Yes, I believe having `Module#load` and possibly `Module#require` and `Module#require_relative` would be the most logical:

~~~ruby
# not namespaced:
require 'foo'
module Bar;end

# namespaced:
module Bar
  require 'foo'
end
~~~

Re-using those names would be a backwards-incompatible change, though. I have seen people use the second form sometimes.

This is a replacement for the hard-to-use `wrap` optional argument to `Kernel#load`:

~~~ruby
load 'foo', true

# is almost equivalent to

Module.new.load 'foo'
~~~

This can be naturally extended to `Binding#load`, `Binding#require`, and `Binding#require_relative`.

As with the `wrap` argument to `Kernel#load`, the question is, what should references like `::String` in the loaded script refer to? I think it would be nice if it offered *complete* isolation by default, with an option to revert to the current behavior of `load`, e.g. with an API like this:

~~~ruby
class Module
  def load(path, pollute_global: false)
~~~