Issue #12004 has been updated by Pat Allan.

> I think MetaRuby's mission statement is a good example of this and I am happy for the Ruby community to use it as a starting point to create one for Ruby that is as unique and considered as Ruby itself.

As nice as MetaRuby's mission statement is, it is mostly about what we like to see in the community. The Code of Conduct suggested by Coraline is important because it also outlines not only what we don't like, but how these situations are handled. It's good to be clear about these things so people can have clear expectations of what happens if they raise an issue - it holds both project maintainers and community participants to account.

> Why fix what isn't broken?

It may not be broken for you - does that mean it's not broken for others?

> Can anyone point to an instance where this has been applicable and helpful for resolving a conflict, within this community or any other?

The New Zealand Ruby community have a code of conduct and an active public Slack channel. Recently they had to eject someone for behaving inappropriately in their Slack channel. They'd given this person warnings and tried to educate them on why the behaviour was not acceptable, but found that there was no change, and so they made the decision. They were also aware that they'd lost other community members from the Slack channel because of this one person's behaviour. Their statement and corresponding discussion (which I think is only in their Slack channel, so I can't link to it) made it quite clear that it was not a decision made lightly, but their Code of Conduct provided very useful, solid grounding.

> Love and respect are great without rules.

And if someone isn't respectful? Do we just shrug and hope it won't happen again? Or do we actually address the problems that are raised?

Misc #12004: Code of Conduct