coraline / idolhands.com wrote:
> I'm asking that we join with the larger Ruby community in supporting
> the adoption of the Contributor Covenant for the Ruby language.

I am against this, we don't have this problem in Ruby itself.
And the Code of Conduct language is too easily twisted for personal
vendettas.

For example, I only use Free Software and was groomed to distrust
centralization and monopolies from an early age.
So, I've felt threatened and offended when people expect me to:

* run anything I can't reasonably audit (e.g. JavaScript or GUI stack)
* agree to a Terms-of-Service

Maybe I could invoke a Code of Conduct to force maintainers of
Ruby projects to stop requesting contributions via GitHub
(because it requires JS + ToS which I find offensive).

Of course, I won't do that.

Instead, I tell people straight up what I won't do.  Often they'll
accept my contributions via email because they want my help;
otherwise I ignore them.

On the flip side; I am labeled as "unprofessional" for sticking to my
beliefs when I refuse to buckle.

> I think that this will be an important step forward and will ensure the
> continued welcoming and supportive environment around Ruby.

I've never once felt my beliefs were welcome around Ruby; maybe barely
tolerated, but never welcome.  But I'm here anyways (several years, now)
with no plans to leave.