sgharms / stevengharms.com wrote:
> "Good artists copy, great artists steal." - Pablo Picasso

<snip>

> I believe the best and shortest chant is the following:
>
> `ruby -run -e httpd . -p <PORT>`

If we steal from Python, we may also steal the (paraphrased)
"there should be one and one obvious way to do it"
philosophy, right? :)

> I find this invocation unsatisfying. First, the use of `un.rb` is, admittedly, quite
> clever, but therefore also somewhat hard to reason about. *IF* we're going to
> require users to be able to reason about `-r 'un'`, let's ease their burdens and
> create a magic flag for `ruby` to run an in-place static server.

I disagree, as I consider the `-r` an educational gateway to learning
to require other libraries.

One problem with introducing a another (not necessarily improved) way to
do things is people will see the new documentation online, attempt to do
things the new way on an older Ruby, fail, and get frustrated.  This
would be the case for at least 2-5 years until the old Rubies age out;
and maybe longer with extended distro support.

> # Do Not Use -m
>
> `-m` suggests module or something similar and I don't want to confuse our
> HONORING Python by inappropriately copying their module semantics

Again I disagree with this.  To me it's an educational gateway.

> At the very least, if this request is denied I'd like to have in the searchable
> archives why Ruby doesn't support this capability provided by its "cousin,"
> Python.

Only speaking for myself; not the rest of ruby-core.