Issue #11963 has been reported by STeven Harms.

Feature #11963: Add a simple static web server to `ruby`
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/11963

* Author: STeven Harms
* Assignee:
# Introduction

"Good artists copy, great artists steal." - Pablo Picasso

`python -m SimpleHTTPServer` starts a static webserver in the local directory. It is
helpful in many surprising ways. Ruby lacks a similar idiom.  I advocate that
Ruby offer something similar.

# State of the Art

A cursory search shows that this question has been asked a number of times (e.g. StackOverflow, blog posts) and
it seems we have, as a community, yet to agree on a simple, clean standard.  I
believe the best and shortest chant is the following:

`ruby -run -e httpd . -p <PORT>`

I believe this chant is attributable to Aaron Patterson.

I find this invocation unsatisfying. First, the use of `un.rb` is, admittedly, quite
clever, but therefore also somewhat hard to reason about. *IF* we're going to
require users to be able to reason about `-r 'un'`, let's ease their burdens and
create a magic flag for `ruby` to run an in-place static server.

# Suggested Semantics

`ruby -simplewebserver [-p port]`

# Do Not Use -m

`-m` suggests module or something similar and I don't want to confuse our
HONORING Python by inappropriately copying their module semantics

# Conclusion

At the very least, if this request is denied I'd like to have in the searchable
archives why Ruby doesn't support this capability provided by its "cousin,"
Python.

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/