It looks like we'll be working on Ruby 2.4 this year for a Christmas
2016 release.  So I guess we won't have Ruby 3.0 won't landing until
Christmas 2017 at earliest?

For what it's worth, I do not look forward to ever having a
backwards-incompatible flag day for 3.0.  Too much has been done
since 1.9 came out to break compatibility.

From a non-Pythonist point-of-view, Python's 2-to-3 transition looks
like a complete mess.  As a long-time (and still daily!) Perl 5 user;
I'm happy to see continued improvements to 5 and don't care at all
for 6, yet.