Issue #11868 has been updated by Joe Rafaniello.

Nobuyoshi Nakada wrote:
> What's `hint`?
>
> https://github.com/ruby/ruby/compare/trunk...nobu:feature/11868-SyntaxError-location

Thank you for starting on this already.  I appreciate it.

The hint/location suggestion is what ruby prints indicating where the syntax error occurred.
Sorry, hint is probably the wrong word.

In the example below:

~~~~
<compiled>:4: syntax error, unexpected keyword_not, expecting keyword_do_LAMBDA or tLAMBEG
this.is -> not -> valid $ruby:syntax
              ^
<compiled>:4: syntax error, unexpected tGVAR, expecting keyword_do_LAMBDA or tLAMBEG
this.is -> not -> valid $ruby:syntax
                             ^
~~~~

There are two syntax errors.

Error 1

line number: 4

Error:
unexpected keyword_not, expecting keyword_do_LAMBDA or tLAMBEG

The "hint" or location is:

~~~~
this.is -> not -> valid $ruby:syntax
              ^
~~~~

Error 2

line number:  4

Error:
unexpected keyword_not, expecting keyword_do_LAMBDA or tLAMBEG

The "hint" or location is:

~~~~
this.is -> not -> valid $ruby:syntax
                             ^
~~~~

Thank you!

Feature #11868: Proposal for RubyVM::InstructionSequence.compile to return an object containing the syntax error information currently written to STDERR