Matz, is it possible to have a decision before the official release, so we at least know what the future might bring and can introduce it properly?

I still hope my "whichever is the most useful" proposal is accepted. We look at it right now with a mental magnifying glass, but I think that it would become second nature in practice, as I feel it would usually be what the rubyist wants. To me, it feels similar to `super` which passes argument and block; not necessarily intuitive when you think about it, but if you don't think about it, it does usually what you want to do.

Thanks

Bug #11816: Partial safe navigation operator

* Author: Marc-Andre Lafortune
* Assignee: Yukihiro Matsumoto
* ruby -v: preview 2
I'm extremely surprised (and disappointed) that, currently:

    x = nil
    x&.foo.bar # => NoMethodError: undefined method `bar' for nil:NilClass

To make it safe, you have to write `x&.foo&.bar`. But if `foo` is never supposed to return `nil`, then that code isn't "fail early" in case it actually does. `nil&.foo.bar` is more expressive, simpler and is perfect if you want to an error if `foo` returned `nil`. To actually get what you want, you have to resort using the old form `x && x.foo.bar`...

In CoffeeScript, you can write `x()?.foo.bar` and it will work well, since it gets compiled to

    if ((_ref = x()) != null) {
      _ref.foo.bar;
    }

All the discussion in #11537 focuses on `x&.foo&.bar`, so I have to ask:

Matz, what is your understanding of `x&.foo.bar`?

I feel the current implementation is not useful and should be changed to what I had in mind. I can't see any legitimate use of `x&.foo.bar` currently.

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/