Shugo Maeda wrote:
> Is it really hard to change after the release of Ruby 2.3?

As Marc-Andre stated in https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/11816#note-7, it will bring incompatibility.  If we may change the spec in future, I think we should explicitly state the possibility in doc and release message.  Also, it might be a good idea to mark the feature as "experimental".

---

Another idea for the proposal: how about propagating `&.` as long as explicit method chain (that uses `.` literally) continues?

~~~~
x&.foo * 42   ==  (x&.foo) * 42
x&.foo.*(42)  ==  (x&.foo&.*(42))  # strictly not equivalent in the case where #foo returns nil
~~~~

`x&.foo[42]` is still ambiguous. `(x&.foo)[42]' looks simple and consistent to me.

--
Yusuke Endoh <mame / ruby-lang.org>

Bug #11816: Partial safe navigation operator