Issue #11822 has been updated by Charles Nutter.

FWIW, JRuby has always supported a Queue#shutdown! method that *only* set a shutdown bit because of the problems of setting a bit and safely waking all consumers.

Bug #11822: Semantics of Queue#pop after close are wrong

* Author: Charles Nutter
* Assignee:
* ruby -v:
Current test/ruby/thread/test_queue.rb test_close has the following assertion that seems wrong to me:

  def test_close
    [->{Queue.new}, ->{SizedQueue.new 3}].each do |qcreate|
      q = qcreate.call
      assert_equal false, q.closed?
      q << :something
      assert_equal q, q.close
      assert q.closed?
      assert_raise_with_message(ClosedQueueError, /closed/){q << :nothing}
      assert_equal q.pop, :something  # <<< THIS ONE
      assert_nil q.pop
      assert_nil q.pop
      # non-blocking
      assert_raise_with_message(ThreadError, /queue empty/){q.pop(non_block=true)}

Once a queue is closed, I don't think it should ever return a result anymore. The queue should be cleared and pop should always return nil.

In r52691, ko1 states that "deq'ing on closed queue returns nil, always." This test does not match that behavior.

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/