Hi,

In message "[ruby-core:72119] Re: [ruby-cvs:60264] duerst:r53112 (trunk): * enc/ebcdic.h: new dummy encoding EBCDIC-US"
  on Tue, 15 Dec 2015 06:36:39 +1000, matthew / kerwin.net.au wrote:
> Yeah, it may not be apparent that the "-cp-" in the middle stands for
> "codepage" and can be dropped without losing information. Just an
> indication that the chosen name is derived from "ebcdic-cp-us" (and
> possibly noting that it refers to IBM037) would be enough, I think.

Yes, "EBCDIC-US" would be enough for general users.
But I'm talking about the real name.
We can name short and convinient aliases to encodings.
So, we should name with correct basis as real name, and add some
convinient aliases.

For example, Windows_31J is named from IANA database,
and it's aliases CP932 and csWindows31J are also named from it.
And, it has another aliase SJIS, because the alias name is not
entirely correct but convenient for users.

Regards,
--
U.Nakamaura <usa / garbagecollect.jp>