Issue #5478 has been updated by Martin Drst.

It may be a good idea if somebody could provide some actual data/examples for the claim "However, a lot of Ruby developers use arrays for situations where it would be more reasonable to use a set.". E.g. how frequent are setswhen compared to real Arrays or Hashes,...

Feature #5478: import Set into core, add syntax

* Author: Konstantin Haase
* Assignee:
=begin
A set is a central data structure. However, a lot of Ruby developers use arrays for situations where it would be more reasonable to use a set. One reason for that is that it is way easier to use Array then Set at the moment, another one is that developers are simply not aware it exists.

I propose moving Set from the stdlib to core and possibly add a syntax or amethod on array for creating Set literals.

First class syntax suggestions:

    <1, 2, 3>  # might be tricky to parse
    #[1, 2, 3] # would collide with comments
    $[1, 2, 3]
    ${1, 2, 3}

Method suggestions:

    ~[1, 2, 3]
    +[1, 2, 3]

Whitespace separated String Sets could look like this:

    %w<foo bar blah> # creates an array at the moment
    #w[foo bar blah] # would collide with comments
    $w[foo bar blah] # would collide with sending :[] to $w
    $w{foo bar blah}

    ~%w[foo bar blah] # not really shorter than using an array with strings
    +%w[foo bar balh] # not really shorter than using an array with strings

Maybe it's ok to not have a whitespace separated syntax, I'm just brainstorming here.

The issue with the method approach is that it would create an Array to sendthe message to first.

I favor the <1, 2, 3> syntax, possibly without the ability to create a whitespace separated version.

I'd be willing to work on a patch not only for MRI but also for JRuby and Rubinius if you would consider this to be useful.
Although I would need help with the parser.
=end

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/