Issue #11753 has been updated by Bar Hofesh.

Bar Hofesh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to build Ruby from sources.
>
> What I tried:
>
> 1) Build from git using git clone, autoconf, ./configure
> 2) Build with RVM versions 2.2.1, 2.2-head, 2.1.5, ruby-head
>
> All have failed when reaching the "./configure" phase.
> It seems that all memory is getting eat up and the system hangs unless a quick "Ctrl + C" is pressed to stop the process.
>
> Notes:
>
> * I had ruby installed and working until trying to re-build
> * I had a system restore which left most of /home/ with wrong permissions (was taken care of but maybe Ruby's configure needs some files with +x which don't have them right now?)
> * Other programs which relays on "./configure" scripts work and build without issues.

Ok, using the "echo here and there" debug method I got to the part where it is getting stuck:

`
# Use a proper internal environment variable to ensure we don't fall
  # into an infinite loop, continuously re-executing ourselves.
  echo "Testing 1"
  if test x"${_as_can_reexec}" != xno && test "x$CONFIG_SHELL" != x; then
    _as_can_reexec=no; export _as_can_reexec;
echo "Testing 2"
  # We cannot yet assume a decent shell, so we have to provide a
# neutralization value for shells without unset; and this also
# works around shells that cannot unset nonexistent variables.
# Preserve -v and -x to the replacement shell.`

I see "Testing 1"
But not "Testing 2"

Bug #11753: Building ruby-git on Arch Linux eats all memory on ./configure

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/