Em 28-11-2015 20:25, Eric Wong escreveu:
> me / jonathanmoss.me wrote:
> ... There's a bunch of Redmine-specific tools the maintainers use (I 
> haven't checked in depth); and as I said before: Redmine works with 
> git, too. So perhaps migrate to git first and stick with Redmine for now. 

Hi Eric, I understand your point of view (even though I don't support it 
and have no problems with JS being used) but there's something I'd like 
to bring to the attention here.

I don't think migrating to GitLab (or even GitHub) should change Ruby's 
workflow significantly. Also, if the Ruby-core team wants to it could 
even maintain a git mirror in their own servers without using any 
front-end like GitLab or GitHub.

I still think GitLab and GitHub interfaces are very poor to handle 
issues management and I much prefer Redmine for that and I think we 
should keep Redmine as an issues tracker, not because it works on w3m 
but because it's vastly superior to any other issues tracker I've known.

Having said that, even if the Ruby-core team decides for not maintaining 
two official repositories (by supporting an official mirror), you can 
interact with GitHub or GitLab only once, to sign up and send your 
public keys. I guess you can opt to get any pull requests notices by 
e-mail so even reviewing them could be done using the git standard tools 
set.

The workflow with git won't really require any interactions with the 
GitLab or GitHub UI, unless we move issues tracking to those. But I 
really think Redmine is a much more powerful tool for handling issues 
management and I think we should keep using it for that purpose. In that 
case, maybe it would make sense to disable the "issues" feature from 
GitLab or GitHub.

Also, it's important to note that one is not attached to any vendor, 
like GitHub, by opting for it. Changing the main repository should be 
really easy with Git, anytime we want, so we wouldn't have to stick with 
GitHub or GitLab or any other option we choose now.

Also, maybe you could get in touch with GitHub and ask them if they 
would agree in accepting a custom CNAME for the git url so that it would 
be even easier to move the git url to point to another server in the 
future... I don't think it would worth because I don't think they would 
provide us all public keys once we decided to move out from there. But 
at least it wouldn't break automated recipes using git to download the 
source as the source url would remain the same...

I'd just like to point out that moving from SVN to Git shouldn't imply 
in moving from Redmine to other UI for issues management. I'm a big fan 
of Redmine and would love to keep using it as an issues management tool.

I remember Gitorious didn't provide any issues management interface and 
they had set up an instance of ChilliBeans (a fork of Redmine) to track 
their own issues when they were still in development. I really prefer 
separate tools for handling issues and VCS. Also, it's much simpler to 
move the VCS repository. It's not that simple to move issues tracking.

Please keep Redmine while moving to Git.