me / jonathanmoss.me wrote:
> Eric, would you want to try Gitlab out with `w3m` before the
> switch?

The main site's Terms of Service (or any ToS) is still a problem
for me.  Currently there is no ToS at all on our Redmine instance
and registration is completely non-intuitive on GitLab w/o JS.

I've been completely supportive of git since 2005;
never cared for Redmine much, but GitLab seems worse than Redmine.

What happens when GitLab is acquired by another company?  GitLab just
acquired Gitorious this year and shut it down along with all it's
development resources.  I fully expect somebody like GitHub or Atlassian
to buy GitLab one day and do the same thing they did to Gitorious.

Redmine's been through a lot, but hsbt et. al. seem to be doing a
good job of maintaining it so far.

We'd also have to do a lot of work to migrate from Redmine to GitLab;
which doesn't seem to have any tangible benefits[1], only drawbacks I've
noted above.  Even just the SVN-to-git migration could be a lot of work
alone, but adding a needless transition to GitLab is completely
unnecessary.

If people aren't willing to register for a Redmine instance; I doubt
they'd care to register for a GitLab instance, either.  Then we'd also
need to migrate accounts and probably reset everyone's passwords, too
to the annoyance of existing users.

[1] "visually appealing (IMO)" as you noted does not count.
    Especially when the registration page is hostile to non-JS users.