Issue #11549 has been updated by Koichi Sasada.

* Are you saying there exists a single specific thread, and only that specific single thread will run garbage collection?

Yes.

* Are you saying that if any C extension invokes rb_thread_call_without_gvl(), and that a different thread performs I/O and awaits I/O completion (that permits a yet different thread to run), then there exists the possibility of an interpreter crash (due to the different thread that was switched to allocating an object)?

rb_thread_call_without_gvl() invoke a *C* function. The C function should not run any Ruby code (there are several limitation, but I don't recommend to use it if you can not understand what you do).

Waiting an I/O operation is nice. But the result (read file, or something) should be wrapped *after* the C function invoked by rb_thread_call_without_gvl().

The following code is pseudo-code like C.

```C
char buff[100]; /* example :) */

func()
{
  long_operation(buff);
}

VALUE
ruby_method(self){
  // release GVL and call func.
  rb_thread_call_without_gvl(func);
  // acquire GVL again, at this point.
  return rb_str_new_cstr(buff);
}
```

More details, see rb_thread_call_without_gvl() document.

Bug #11549: Object allocation during garbage collection phase terminates the Ruby process