On 23 November 2015 at 08:56, <kallisti5 / unixzen.com> wrote:

> Issue #11731 has been updated by Alexander von Gluck.
>

> yeah, the large number of workarounds show this is a pretty default
> workflow for people. Thus raises the question on why it isn't the default
> behavior.

Opinion, not fact: is it not the case that most folk who develop
independently usually do so where they either a) use rbenv or b) own the
machine and can `sudo` safely? And by contrast, the people who can't do
that are usually in corporate environments where site-wide installation
makes most sense?

Note that rbenv isn't just a workaround for this, it also allows
independent installation of entire Ruby environments, including
core/stdlib, parser, etc. So I don't know that we can say that there's
necessarily a large number of workarounds just for local gems.

--
  Matthew Kerwin
  http://matthew.kerwin.net.au/