Feature #11690: Update Hash during multiple assignment

* Author: Daniel P. Clark
* Assignee:
Given that we can assign multiple variables at once

~~~ruby
a,b,c = 1,2,3
~~~

It would be nice to be able to update a Hash during multiple assignment rather than replacing it.  Currently

~~~ruby
x = {a: 1, b: 2}
x, y ,z = {c: 3}, 6, 7
# => {c: 3}
~~~

What I propose is adding `Hash#update=` to permit updating during multiple assignment.

~~~ruby
class Hash
  def update=(h)
    update(h)

x = {a: 1, b: 2}

x.update, y ,z = {c: 3}, 6, 7
# => {a: 1, b: 2, c: 3}
~~~

This would be most useful in scenarios where a method or proc return multiple values.  When the method returns the values we don't normally know the key outside where the hash assignment is.

~~~ruby
example = proc { [{:hi => :hello}, 5] }

hash = {}

# Currently in Ruby with an Unknown key multiple assignment isn't an option
hash[????], current = example.call

# We currently have to two step it
result, current = example.call
hash.update(result)
~~~

But with `Hash#update=` we don't have to know the key.

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/