Issue #11537 has been updated by Thomas Enebo.

Nobuyoshi Nakada wrote:
> Binary operators implicitly continue the next line, without a backslash.
>
> e.g.,
>
> ~~~ruby
> foo +
> 1
> ~~~
>
> is same as `foo + 1`.
>
> If `\` were become a binary operator, there is an ambiguity.
>
> ~~~ruby
> foo \
> 1
> ~~~
>
> is `foo(1)` (current interpretation) or `foo\1`?

I am willing to withdraw this proposal and it is potentially ambiguous (although still able to be properly parsed) but I can count the number of times I have seen a rubyist use a line continuation with zero fingers :)  So I do not think they confusion would be very large.

-Tom

Feature #11537: Introduce "Safe navigation operator"