Issue #11489 has been updated by Aaron Patterson.

@zzak: This seems like an issue with the XMLRPC client, not openssl?

It seems like XMLRPC should take an http object as a parameter to initialize like:

~~~
http = Net::HTTP.new *args
http.ca_path = ca_path
rpc = XMLRPC::Client.new http
~~~

I'm not sure what implications that would have on the internals though.  For now you could work around by subclassing the client rather than monkey patching:

~~~
class MyClient < XMLRPC::Client
  def net_http(*args)
    http = super
    http.ca_path = blah
    http

MyClient.new
~~~

Bug #11489: XMLRPC client cannot alter SSL options for _async calls