Issue #11537 has been updated by Rodrigo Rosenfeld Rosas.

I believe you are referring to implementation details and in this case I can't really opinionate, but with regards to syntax, since "?." is not a valid code, it should be interpreted as "?.+" and "foo" would be parsed as its argument.

But if this is too complicate to implement, I'm also fine with using ".?".

Feature #11537: Introduce "Safe navigation operator"

* Author: Hiroshi SHIBATA
* Assignee: Yukihiro Matsumoto
I sometimes write following code with rails application:

```ruby
u = User.find(id)
if u && u.profile && u.profile.thumbnails && u.profiles.thumbnails.large
```

or

```ruby
# Use ActiveSupport
if u.try!(:profile).try!(:thumbnails).try!(:large)
```
I hope to write shortly above code. Groovy has above operator named "Safe navigation operator" with "`?.`" syntax.
Ruby can't use "`?.`" operator.

Can we use "`.?`" syntax. like this:

```ruby
u = User.find(id)