Issue #11537 has been updated by Rodrigo Rosenfeld Rosas.

Yehuda Katz wrote:
> As shorthand for:
>
> ~~~
> u && u.profile && u.profile.thumbnails && u.profile.thumbnails.large
> ~~~

Actually, it would be a shorthand for something like:

~~~
u && (tmp1 = u.profile) && (tmp2 = tmp1.thumbnails) && tmp2.large
~~~

But I still prefer the syntax implemented in trunk as it's similar to other languages and will be more familiar for those used to the operator in Groovy and CoffeeScript, for example.

Feature #11537: Introduce "Safe navigation operator"