Issue #11537 has been updated by Yehuda Katz.

Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:
> I like the idea. My remaining concern is ".?" is too similar to "?." which is chosen by other languages.
> We cannot use "?." since it conflicts with a method call with a "*?" predicate method.
>
> Matz.

I agree with this concern. I also agree with the idea of trying to make it more like a traditional infix operator by encouraging spaces.

What about:

~~~
u && .profile && .thumbnails && .large
~~~

As shorthand for:

~~~
u && u.profile && u.profile.thumbnails && u.profile.thumbnails.large
~~~

It reads nicely to me and its meaning is clear. It also doesn't conflict with Ruby's method predicates (`?` suffix).

Matz, what do you think?

Feature #11537: Introduce "Safe navigation operator"